Trump Says Xi Promised No Chinese Weapons for Iran

Donald Trump says Chinese leader Xi Jinping has assured him that Beijing will not send weapons to Iran as the US-Israel war continues to grind through another tense diplomatic pause.
The US president made the claim on Tuesday after returning from a three-day visit to China, where he touted several trade agreements but did not announce any major breakthrough on the war with Iran.
“President Xi has promised me that he’s not sending any weapons to Iran. That’s a beautiful promise. I take him at his word,” Trump told reporters during an event at the White House ballroom construction site.
He added that Xi wants the Strait of Hormuz open “like me”.
The statement comes at a delicate moment. Russian President Vladimir Putin has arrived in China for his own visit, reinforcing Moscow’s strategic partnership with Beijing.
Before Trump’s trip, US officials sent mixed signals about what they expected from Beijing. At times, they suggested China could use its influence with Iran to help secure a more durable ceasefire. At other points, they played down the idea that Iran would be a central topic in Trump’s meetings with Xi.
Since the summit, there has been little public indication that China intends to take a more active role in the conflict.
Trump’s comments also came shortly after he issued another warning to Tehran. In a social media post, he said the “Clock is Ticking” for Iran to reach a more lasting ceasefire beyond the pause in fighting that has largely held since April 8.
On Monday, Trump said he had put a “hold” on a planned attack against Iran after appeals from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
“Serious negotiations are now taking place,” he said.
Iran’s semiofficial Tasnim News Agency reported on Monday that Tehran had submitted a revised 14-point peace plan to end the war, though details were not immediately made public.
Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he had been “an hour away from making the decision to go today”.
He said he agreed to give Iran a few more “days” to return to negotiations.
“Maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week, a limited period of time,” he said.
“We may have to give them another big hit. I’m not sure yet,” he added.
Iranian officials responded with defiance. Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, said Trump had paused the attack not because of diplomacy but because of concern over Iran’s response.
He warned that any new US strike would mean “facing a decisive military response and unified nation”.
“Power is the only language he understands,” he added.








The latest news in your social feeds
Subscribe to our social media platforms to stay tuned